Saturday, December 30, 2006

MOODJUICE - Depression and Low Mood - Self-help Guide

diagram from Moodjuice

These are the thoughts of two people who are depressed:

"I feel so alone, I never see my friends now, I guess they have dropped me. They probably don't like me - who would? There is no point in making any effort. It doesn't pay off ... I just hate myself."

"I feel like crying all the time, I am so tired and can't get interested in anything. In fact I don't even get started with jobs I should be doing, I can't even do basic things that seem so easy to other people ..."

You may have had similar thoughts yourself. Depression is a very common problem and many people feel low or down in the dumps at times. This is often due to life stresses such as bereavement, money or housing problems or difficulties in relationships. For some people the problem becomes much worse and gets in the way of normal life.
How can this guide help me?

It may seem that nothing can be done to help you feel better. But there are things that you can do to make a difference. There is also further help you can get if the depression does not seem to be getting any better.

This guide aims to help you cope with depression and begin to get better. The approach is called cognitive therapy. Cognitive therapy uses methods that have been tried and tested and found to be effective. It involves looking at the way you think about things. We have included pen and paper exercises in the booklet to help you begin to understand and begin to deal with depression practically. You should find it helpful to complete these exercises.

It's a struggle...

No comments: